- Guest: Max Weiner, ArmFarm creator and MiLB pitching coordinator with the Seattle Mariners
- How Max improves his pitchers in the offseason
- Why it is important to take time off in the offseason
- Problems high school players are encountering and what they can do about it
- What is the perfect balance of self-exploration and coaching techniques
- How data factors into game decisions
- How does the use of data affect player's confidence
- How can high school coaches create a bullpen program comparable to those of the pros
- Why the mental side of the game is just as important as the physical side
- Advice on how to fit specific drills to certain schemes or to fit certain players´ inefficiencies
- How can teams incorporate a developmental program into their team and private settings
- How mobility, stability, strength, and mechanics make baseball coaching difficult
- What Max has learned after a year with the Indians
- Why Max focuses on his ability to speak Spanish
3 Key Points:
- Pitching in the offseason looks different for different players.
- Data plays a huge role in factoring into game end decisions and it can affect players´ confidence.
- The mental aspects of players are just as important as the physical. Having a developmental program is beneficial for players.
- ¨You have to assess what's going on. That's the first thing, and at that point, what you can pretty much do is determine what their movement quality is, whatever is present, and then make the prediction of what their general movement capacity would be like, what's their total potential? .” – Max.
- “You'll hear a lot of mental performance or sports psychology coaches always say, anytime you're going into a game, it shouldn't be the first time you've been there, right?” – Max.
- “Creating familiarity whether that's at home or on the road is key.¨–Max
- “You have to be a great communicator. And that means speaking and listening..¨–Max
- “I think the number one thing to do is humanize the data.¨– Max
- “If you can coach the environment and pick out the right internal schemes and understand like, what sort of constraints you're looking for, and how you want to tear those out and understand those from like a long term versus short term standpoint, you can almost say, Okay, I'm expecting this player's performance to go down here for two weeks, while we're working on this ultimate goal.¨–Max